help desperately needed

Grisha R grisha20112011 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 08:17:16 UTC 2011

Hello,

I’ve been struggling in vain to design an experiment in e-prime since last
several days. The problem is that I have absolutely no background in
programming or computer science. I’m pleading you for help.

Here is the design:

To get blue color participant presses left-arrow key and to get red color he
presses right-arrow key; he can press either key as per his wish. There are
total two hundred trials. Of the total left-arrow key presses for blue, only
50% of the times he gets blue color, whereas remaining 50% of the time he
gets the other color, that is, red. In the 50% blue that he is getting, half
are blue squares and the remaining half are blue circles; and in the other
50% yellow, half are yellow squares and the remaining half are yellow
circles. Same for right-arrow key presses for yellow: that is, of the total
right-arrow key presses only 50% get him yellow color and the remaining 50%
get him the other color, that is, blue. Of the total yellow, half should be
yellow squares and the half should be yellow circles; and of the total blue,
half should be blue squares and the other half should be blue circles. The
participant reports the shape (whether he saw square or circle, and not the
color) by pressing an appropriate key (say, upward-arrow key for square and
the downward-arrow key for circle).

The appearances of stimuli should be randomized for each key-press. The
percentages should be maintained close to [75% and 25%] and [50% and 50% for
squares and circles] (as mentioned above) following each key-press.

The time duration for making a response is to be recorded for each trial.
Also, the time the participant takes to make the next left- or right-arrow
key press (after reporting what he saw in the preceding trial) is also to be
recorded.

I have working code in e-prime for this design.