Randomized selection of stimuli across trials

HalleZ zhallez at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:14:17 UTC 2011

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for the example script--that was extremely helpful! I
think perhaps when I initially posted the question I oversimplified my
problem a bit. So, let me see if I can more fully explain what I want
to program.

On each trial, I want to select a unique triplet that does not repeat
across trials (e.g., WordA, WordB, WordC). However, what I'm really
selecting is the parent word list from which the stimuli are pulled
(e.g., selecting WordA means that wordA1, wordA2, wordA3, and wordA4
are what get presented to the subject so that an entire trial looks
like wordA1, wordA2, wordA3, wordA4, wordB1, wordB2, wordB3, wordB4,
wordC1, wordC2, wordC3, wordC4).

Following the way you suggested using the nesting of word lists, I
believe I have it so that the words do not repeat across trials.
However, it seems to be pulling the same word multiple times within a
single trial (e.g., wordA1, wordA2, wordA3, wordA4, wordB1, wordB2,
wordB3, wordB4, wordA1, wordA2, wordA3, wordA4). I'm assuming there's
just another level of nesting that I'm missing here, but I can't seem
to figure out where/how to nest this!

thanks,
Halle