EPrime - motion stim issues

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 23:04:38 UTC 2011

Hi Lisa,

It looks like this 'hybrid' movie/still solution is causing more
problems than it solves. Like Presentation, you probably would like to
use some script to create/present the graphics. Unfortunately, E-Basic
only has limited support for creating graphics on the fly (text,
lines, rectangles and ellipses), and I'm not sure if your stimuli
could be drawn by those primitives. However, pre-created static
bitmaps (as movies) can be a workaround for painting more complex
graphics objects. Programming moving objects is not extremely
difficult, and if I remember correctly, there is an example available
on the pst support site
(http://www.pstnet.com/support/samples.asp?Mode=View&SampleID=8)  When
the graphics objects themself change, you might run into difficulties
when the computer hardware cannot keep up with the number of required
bitmaps and desired frame rate. Using movies will probably the only
working solution in that case. I think I would include the ISI's in
the movie so it becomes a single file that can be played without
interruption. ISI durations cannot be set at runtime this way, unless
you use the technique described below.

In some cases is also possible to use an external (DLL) library to
create complex stimuli at run time (gabor patches, gradient fills,
...). Such an external library could be used to create bitmaps or
movies on the fly, which then can be loaded by eprime.  However, this
requires in-depth knowledge of a programming language such as C++
because such a specific library probably doesn't exist yet.  I used
this technique before to create audio files and complex bitmap
sequences. (If you have EPrime version 1, you might have a look at the
attached example. This will display a changing ellipse with a gradient
fill that can be defined at runtime in EPrime)

Best,
Paul