SRBox Port Number configured at runtime?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jan 25 16:26:25 UTC 2011

Doug,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

What version of E-Prime do you use?  More importantly, what do you
mean by "when we plug the device into a computer, it will be assigned
whatever COM port is available"?  Do you really mean that any single
computer has dynamically assigned COM ports that can change whenever
you plug a device into it?  I have never heard of such a thing, so I
would like to know more.  Typically COM port addresses remain static
in any one machine, so once you know what it is on that machine you
can plug the SRBox into the COM port and it will not change, and you
can edit the .es or .es2 file for that machine to refer to the
appropriate COM port (just make sure that the COM port lies in the range 1-4).

There are ways to do something like what you ask in both EP1 and EP2,
but I don't yet understand why your situation requires this.

BTW, if you do not have admin access to these PCs, then how do you
get EP installed on them in the first place?