Experiment Start timestamp

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Jan 31 21:41:19 UTC 2011

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

Hmm, you no doubt already know that SessionTime in the .edat file
records the clock time for the start of the experiment, but I suspect
you want something that records the clock time down the millisecond,
whereas SessionTime goes only to the second.  That will be a tall
order, because typically Windows does not keep clock time down to ms
resolution, E-Prime only gets that by interposing DirectX
commands.  E.g., you could use the Time$ function, but that goes down
only to seconds (and is what SessionTime already uses anyway, as you
can see by reading the generated E-Run code).

You might instead use some common signal to start both your EP
experiment and your external device at the same time, and then count
from there.  Or you might program your EP experiment to delay until
the clock time reaches some round value, although once again I would
not expect that to be accurate down to the millisecond.