refresh rate USB

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jul 7 18:17:11 UTC 2011

Tobias,

Sorry, I do not have citations handy, I will leave that as an
academic exercise for you.  But I believe this question, and a
related one, has been covered over the years in publications such as
"Behavior Research Methods", as well as in a white paper that I
believe came from PST (and may appear in the E-Prime User Guide).

First, the rate-limiting issue seems to *not* be the transfer rate of
USB, but rather the characteristics of the keyboard hardware.  Even
if USB transfers at 120 Hz or higher, that does *not* mean that the
device (in this case the keyboard) itself collects & sends data at
that rate.  With keyboards especially, this seems to be a bad
assumption.  First, individual keyboards are all over the map with
regard to response latencies and variance, so even if you measure one
you have no idea how that applies to others, even others of the same
manufacturer and model!  With that warning, it seems that keyboards
often have variable latencies in the ballpark of 0 - 15 ms.  This
means that if you get an individual RT of, say 300 ms, you don't know
if it was really 300 ms, or 285 ms, or somewhere in between.

So if you really need to know *individual* RTs down to the ms, then
you need to use something other than a keyboard (e.g., SRBox; buttons
on computer mice have been shown to have long but low-variance
latencies, which could help, but mouse movement may interfere with
this -- once again, search the literature, or better do your own tests).

But most studies either do not need that much precision, or do not
need to know *individual* RTs.  In particular, the behaviors that we
wish to measure often have variance that far exceeds the variance in
our sloppy input devices.  And this was the thesis of the white paper
that I referred to at the beginning.  The authors did some
computations to show that, in almost every case, simply adding a few
more trials or subjects to measure an average RT brings the variance
down as good as we could get by going to great lengths to use a more
precise input device.  So we should just quit fretting about this in
most cases, and save that worrry for the few times that it really applies.

I will be interested to hear others weigh in.

"You got to test that device performance, You got to test it for yourself,
No one else can test it for you, You got to test it for yourself."
(Apologies to the Fairfield Four)