refresh rate USB

Tobias tobias.fw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 17:20:14 UTC 2011

Hi together,

I plan an experiment in which Reaction Times for two conditions will
be compared and not too much of a difference is expected. Let's say 15
ms. I am wondering if an USB keyboard is the appropriate choice for
such an experiment. I've heard that USB usually has a refresh rate of
120 Hz, meaning that responses are checked every 8 ms. That's a lot of
noise added to the real reaction times.

On the other hand, EEG data and other stuff CAN be transferred much
faster than 120 Hz via USB cable. THe question is, whether Windows (or
E-Prime) can handle this.

What is your experience here?

Thanks a lot and so long,
Tobias