recording response

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Jul 8 15:20:53 UTC 2011

Linda,

"Input mask" is E-Prime lingo for the facilities that actually
collect a response -- it is a core concept of E-Prime, although I do
not know anywhere where it is well described or explained.  But note,
for instance, that when you add a Keyboard as an "input mask" to a
stimulus object, that input mask is not strictly a part of the
stimulus object, it in fact runs independently from and concurrently
with its associated stimulus object.  That is how "extended input"
(see Appendix C of the User's Guide) works.

Anyway, glad you got it to work the way you want, but here is what
still baffles me:  From what you describe your trial works as
follows.  You run a Slide object for 500 ms.  The subject may respond
during that time -- you do not specify what happens if the subject
does respond then, do you terminate the Slide or does it complete its
500 ms?  Regardless, if the subject responds then you move on to the
next trial.  If the subject does not respond then (using a Wait
object) *the Slide remains on the screen* while the subject gets some
extra (unspecified) time to respond.

So in effect, the Slide simply remains visible until the subject
responds or the end of the Wait period, whichever comes first.  Well,
if that is all you wanted, you could have simply given the full
Duration to your Slide in the first place, and set End Action to
Terminate.  It just seems to me that you are going through extra
trouble in order to do something trivial, and I feel the need to
clarify this so that others who later stumble onto this thread do not
make the same mistake.  So what am I missing?

Finally, if you have not already, I will give you the same advice
that I give over and over again here -- before you write your first
experiment in E-Prime, you *must* work through *all* of the tutorials
in the Getting Started Guide and User's Guide that came with E-Prime,
otherwise you just do a disservice to yourself and everyone
else.  (And "all" includes Appendix C of the User's Guide.)  As
insufficient as those Guides are, some folks at PST worked very hard
to produce them for us, so we owe it to them to make use of whatever
they did provide us.