Making movie clips for E-Prime?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jul 12 21:24:37 UTC 2011

OK, we got something to work, so here is my report in case anybody
else can use this.  I would be very interested if others could weigh
in with what they have used.

First, turns out my user really wanted to extract short clips (~1
min) from commercial movie DVDs.  In short, I managed to use AoA DVD
Ripper (http://www.aoamedia.com/dvd_ripper.htm ) to visually select a
segment to clip from a commercial DVD, set DVD Ripper to encode it as
MPEG-1/VCD (*.mpg), and the resulting file played in stock E-Prime
with no further fuss.  (That will work fine as long as the DVDs that
the user wants do not foil us with some futher copy protection, and
assuming that our use falls within Fair Use.)

More details for those who care...

In general, we have two strategies we might apply here -- configure
E-Prime to work with movie files as we supply them, or make sure that
the movie files we supply are configured to work with stock
E-Prime.  I prefer the latter strategy, because  (1) I figure that
the E-Prime developers have optimized E-Prime for a limited range of
formats even if we can trick it up to accept other formats, and  (2)
I would rather not have to reconfigure E-Prime with custom codecs
every time we move the experiment to a new machine.

So first I used GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ ) and
MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en )to see what
format/codec E-Prime uses for its own examples.  They use .mpg files,
encoded as MPEG Video (Version 1).  So I set that as my goal.

I tried two products for ripping the DVD samples.  First I tried
HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr ), but  (1) the interface does not
seem to have a good visual way to select arbitrary clips,  (2) it was
*very* slow (we canceled before it finished), and  (3) HandBrake
itself insists that it is only a transcoder, *not* a DVD ripper.

After Googling around a bit I moved on to AoA DVD Ripper.  This
provides a good-enough visual interface for selecting arbitrary
clips, worked pretty fast, and produced an .avi file that played in
Media Player.  That file did not play in stock E-Prime, however, but
once I reconfigured DVD Ripper to output MPEG-1 all was well.  (I
also set File Split Mode to Infinite just to avoid splitting
files.)  Note that by default DVD Ripper outputs .avi at 720x480
resolution, or .mpg at 352x240 resolution, so you might want to
fiddle with that further.  (It costs US$40 (cheap!) to register DVD
Ripper, and I do not know how the paid version differs from the free
one, but if you find the program useful then please do the right
thing and pay for it.)

Now as it turns out, when I installed AoA DVD Ripper it also
installed an Xvid codec, so then the .avi file played in E-Prime as
well.  But the .mpg file continued to play in E-Prime even after I
uninstalled the Xvid codec, so I feel safer sticking with .mpg (MPEG-1).

For the record, if we did want to fiddle with codecs for E-Prime, in
addition to letting AoA DVD Ripper install Xvid, PST recommends the
ffdshow (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ffdshow.htm ) and SUPER
(http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html ) codec libraries (see
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic635-12-1.aspx and
http://www.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2986-5-1.aspx ).

Finally, as mentioned earlier in this thread, for more extensive
video editing VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org ) might come into
play.  This outputs only in .avi format, so would require installing
codecs for E-Prime, or using A0A DVD Ripper or HandBrake to transcode
the output files as needed for use in E-Prime.

I still have no idea what system to use in case we ever want to
generate video for E-Prime from scratch, but I guess we will cross
that bridge when we come to it.