two screens, two refresh rates: timing?

Tobias tobias.fw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:26:10 UTC 2011

I don't have a switch but a graphic card with two outputs. What I can
do in my graphic card settings is to select the primary screen. And
actually that seems to be the crucial part.

The weaker screen (60 Hz, i.e. refresh circle of 16.6 ms) and the
better screen (100 Hz, refresh circle of 10 ms) are NOT used as
several devices in my E-Prime 2 settings.

I presented two slides (black and white) with a to-be duration of 38
ms each. This should round up to 40 ms for the 100 Hz screen and is
quite far from anything the 60 Hz screen can do (33.3 ms or 50 ms).

If the faster screen is the primary one, I see artificial shapes or
borders on the slower screen but presumably perfect black-white
switches on the faster screen.
If the slower screen is the primary one, it is exactly the other way
round.

More interestingly, I logged the duration errors and onset delays.
Duration error was always 0 which seems to be due to the way E-Prime
records the timing, see an earlier post my David. The onset delay,
however, was -5 ms if the slower screen was the primary one. This
somehow makes sense as two circles are 33.3 ms. As the screen was
supposed to show the stimuli for 38 ms, it is an "delay" of -5 ms. If
the faster screen was the primary one, the delay was always 2 ms which
also makes sense, it just can't stop after 38 ms because a full
refresh circle is 40 ms, i.e. 2 ms more.

Alltogether, I assume that the refresh rate of the primary screen (as
set in Windows) defines for how long a stimulus is actually presented.
The secondary screen will show flickering if it's refresh rate does
not fit the to-be duration of the stimulus.

I hope this is helpful for others who use two screens.

Best,
Tobias

P.S.: The 100 Hz flatscreen we use here is the Samsung Syncmaster
2233BW.