Sound files, Crashing, and Windows 7 (not as catchy as sun, sea and sangria) Update??

Lidia Suarez nusphd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 06:17:16 UTC 2011

Dear all,

If any of you is having problems with sound and Vista or Windows 7, this may
be useful. *This is the reply I have received from PST regarding this
problem:*

Here is what you should know about running E-Prime 2.0 and 1.x on Vista and
7 machines. This article provides more details on running 1.x on Vista/7
machines: INFO: E-Prime 1.x Support for Windows
Vista<http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3108>.
Until formal timing tests can be performed on a number of Windows Vista
machines running E-Prime, PST encourages the use of E-Prime and Windows
Vista only for design and testing purposes. Subject stations that are
collecting data should be directed to Windows XP and Windows 2000 machines.

I suggest that you keep using E-Prime 2.0 because the only version of
E-Prime that has been tested and verified on Vista/7 machines is version
2.0.8.90. While PST has not officially published timing results for Windows
7, E-Prime 2.0.8.90 and later versions have been approved for Windows 7
x86/x64, Windows Vista SP2 x86/x64, and Windows XP SP3 x86 with the
exception of Windows 7 or Vista paradigms that require sound startup latency
values of less than 30ms. We have delayed publishing the timing results
while we continue to work on consistent audio timing. PST is currently
verifying a variety of sound drivers and recommends the use of Windows XP
for experiments with sound related timing until further notice. PST intends
to provide a more formal statement about Windows 7 shortly. Please check
this article for updates: INFO: Windows 7 support in
E-Prime<http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=4026>.

All of this said, I was able to run your experiment without any crashing on
a Windows 7 machine. This leads me to believe that you can make some changes
to your computer that should stop the crashes. Here are some steps to try:

1) Ensure that you have the latest version of E-Prime, which is 2.0.8.90.
You can verify this by opening E-Studio and going to Help - About E-Studio.
If you want to download the latest version, you can access the download via
the Download/E-Prime/E-Prime 2.0 Release Candidate links to the left. Make
sure that you download and install the version that matches the license you
purchased (i.e., E-Prime 2.0 Standard or E-Prime 2.0 Professional).

2) Please use CodecConfig to check the codecs on your computer. This article
contains instructions on this as well as links to codecs you may want to
download and install: FEATURE: CodecConfig provides ability to choose codecs
used for Movie and Sound
rendering<http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3162>
.

3) Disable or shutdown any background applications that may be causing a
conflict. Here is an article with more information on that: INFO: How to use
MSCONFIG to troubleshoot machine configuration and reduce background
applications <http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=2621>.