randomly alternating between two SlideStates

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Fri May 13 09:14:24 UTC 2011

Hi Erin,

So... how did you do this randomization within a triallist in the
older set-up?
Because I personally would rather use a list-based randomization than
two slidestates.

If you have a triallist in which both the attributes match and foil
are defined than you'll have 'match and foil' pairs as the same match
and foil will always be shown together.

Now... if you into that triallist nest a second list called something
like randompositions and in that list create two attributes called...
xposmatch and xposfail you can enter the values of the x (i.e. 25% and
75% vs 75% and 25% on the second level) into these cells, set that
list to random and you're set. Although you should manipulate the
weights a bit as randomizing two values (two levels) doesn't give much
variation. Giving both levels a weight of 2 or 3  solves that. Make it
so that the total trials within each block or the entire experiment is
a multitude of the total 'draws' from the randompositionslist, in
order to have complete randomization.

If you rather use the two slidestates, which is actually as fine a
solution... then don't create a list called something like
randompositions but rather nest a list called randomstate. In this
list create one attribute called 'statename' (or something the like),
and in the cells enter the values 'MatchLeft' and 'MatchRight'. Again,
a randomization on 2 draws doesn't give much variation so manipulate
the weights. Set this list to 'random' on the slide set the slidestate
to [statename] and you're set.

Best,

liw