sequentially read attributes entered on a unique line of a list

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon May 23 19:02:36 UTC 2011

>is it possible with eprime to "read" the attributes cell by cell in
>a list and not row by row ?

Well, you might do that with some inline code. E.g., suppose you have
a List with attributes for Square1, Square2, Square3, and Square4,
then the following code would successively assign the value of each
attribute to the single attribute "Square":

Const nAttrib as Integer = 4
Dim  i as Integer
For i = 1 to nAttrib
     c.SetAttrib "Square", c.GetAttrib( "Square" & i )
     ' more code to make use of this here...
Next i

The key is that attribute names are nothing more than strings, and
you may construct them using ordinary string concatentation and other
operations, then use the resulting name in a call to GetAttrib().

Another way to get at attributes one-by-one in a single row of a List
is to put those values in a nested List from your main List, and then
access the individual rows of the nested List using colon
syntax.  Just look up "colon syntax" in the index of the User's Guide
that came with E-Prime.

I am just addressing the academic "is it possible" question here, I
am not sure that this will have any practical benefit for programming
your particular task, but there you go.