Participants=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=B4_?=response via space key

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:51:20 UTC 2011

Hi Claudia,

this is indeed very elementary... did you also check the 'manual'
called 'an e-primer'? It can be downloaded here: step.psy.cmu.edu/
materials/EPrimer.pdf
I don't know it by heart but I daresay it should contain your answers
and otherwise be helpful for you.

As for the allowed response: this simply defines which buttons are
being 'read' by e-prime. If a certain button is not defined response,
one can press it however much they like, e-prime will not respond to
it. To make the spacebar the only allowed response (no response is not
a response, so you don't need to "allow" it) enter {SPACE} into the
allowed responses field.

However, the remaining of your question pertains not to how to set an
allowed response but to how to set a correct response. To achieve what
you want to achieve, make an attribute in your list that contains the
correct response, call it "correctresp" or something the like. For
trials in which space is the correct response give it value {SPACE},
for trials in which no response is the correct response give it value
"" (two times ", nothing inbetween). Tell your slide that this
attribute contains the correctresponse by entering [correctresp] into
the correct response field of the slide. In order to make it possible
that no response is given ("allow" no response, if you like...) give
the slide a set duration (1000 ms for instance, instead of infinite)
so that it always disappears after a given time (even if no response
is made). You can keep the end action at terminate if you want the
slide to disappear after space is pressed or set it to  none of you
want it to remain for the set duration even after spacebar is pressed.

Best,

liw