visual dot probe experiment: position of words & pictures

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:17:39 UTC 2011

Hi Suzanne,

I'm not sure if I completely understand the layout you are aiming for,
but I think most of the problems could be solved if you start using a
single Slide object with placeholders for the text and picture
objects. Use the []-syntax to 'autofill' the words and pictures in
those objects. This way the slide object act as a kind of template for
your screen layout. I guess you would like to use transparent text
objects on top of the arrow images. Defining en empty text string will
make sure the arrow below the text object will be visible. You
probably also have to define an empty dummy picture in case you would
like to draw text without an arrow in the background.

However, things might be a bit more complicated if the different
objects have different onset times or durations, but this mechanism
should also be usable in more complicated cases.

And regarding to the nested lists: perhaps you could start with a
minimalistic setup without nested list. Then, when everything works
fine, you could move some of the attributes to separate lists when
required.

best
Paul

PS. I'm not sure if reaction time is critical in you study, but keep
in mind that most displays draw the image from top to bottom. This can
take upto 10-20ms, so be careful when comparing RT's between
top-bottom conditions.