visual dot probe experiment: position of words & pictures

SEM suzanne.e.mol at gmail.com
Mon May 30 13:04:39 UTC 2011

Hi!

I already read the posts on dot probe tasks and scrolled through the e-
prime manual by Michiel Spapé and Rinus Verdonschot (2009), but I
didn't quite find the answer to my question, so I hope to succeed
here…

I am currently creating a visual dot probe experiment in E-prime (v
2.0), in which I'd like to present:
A) fixation cross at the center of the screen
B) pair of words
C) arrow at the top of the screen or at the lower position, exactly
corresponding the position of the word

I especially have problems with getting the 2 words at the right
POSITION in the screen so the arrow is presented at the exact same
position as the word the arrow should "replace". How could I do that?

Some background info: I am going to present each word pair (either
negative-neutral or neutral-neutral) 4 times for 500 ms and 4 times
for 1500 ms, in which the negative word is presented at the "top"
twice + at the lower position of the screen twice for each duration
time. Within those trials, the arrow will be in the same position of
the "negative word" (= congruent; once pointing to the right, once
pointing to the left for 500 ms and vice versa for 1500 ms so all
words are presented with all 8 possibilites with regards to word-arrow
congruency and arrows pointing left/right) and twice in the neutral
position (= incongruent). (NB: The neutral-neutral fillers also are
presented 4 times for 500 ms and 4 times for 1500 ms but there will be
no "congruent" or "incongruent" for the arrows in these trials.)

I wonder...
- how many nested lists do I have to create? (e.g., would "congruent,
incongruent, filler" do the trick?)
- within the nested list, what attributes should I add (now, I added 5
attributes: word1, word2, arrow, CorrectAnswer, ItemNr. However, I
don't get how I'd adjust the position of the words in the
"textdisplay" screen except for just centering them, so I guess I am
not doing everything right here?!)
- as procedures, I created "wordarrowbelowlong=fixation cross, text
displaylong, arrow-below"; "wordarrowbelow=fixation cross,
textdisplayshort, arrow-below"; "wordarrowtoplong=fixation cross,
textdisplaylong, arrow-top"; "wordarrowtop=fixation cross,
textdisplayshort, arrow-top" (in which long = 1500 ms and short = 500
ms). Also within these properties screens, I don't manage adjusting
the "position" of both of the words correctly. Or are these procedures
wrong and can I already manage to get the right positions within the
lists itself?
- I think that the percentages I should fill in at "arrow-top" may be
height=75% and "arrow-below"=25% (and frame should be set at center
for all 4 options)? If that also fits/matches the position of the
words…

Furthermore, I'd like to run the same experiment for pictures (12
negative - neutral pairs; 4 neutral - neutral picture pairs) as well,
presented above each other. I guess the creation of the lists and
procedures will be the same (except I'd replace "word" by "pic").
However, positioning both pictures may differ from the "textdisplay"-
positioning-procedure? Pictures should have like 3-8 cm distance
between each other (dimensions for each picture in .jpg: 326x244).

I'm sorry for my extended post, but I hope I have clearly explained
what I am trying to get at eventually… Thank you in advance for your
advice!

Suzanne
Leiden University