Blank SoundIn recordings & Problem with Win7 and SR-Box

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 31 15:16:20 UTC 2011

Susanne,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

Taking the second problem first...  You didn't say what version of EP
you use.  If EP1, then you need to know that the EP1 SRBox driver
does not work with anything beyond 32-bit XP.  However, if you
install the driver from EP2 then it should work with EP1 (at least,
it does for me on 32-bit Vista).  For more on this, see the PST
Knowledge Base, e.g.,
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=1987 ,
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3108 ,
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=3108 ,
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=4026 .  BTW, I still
would not use anything beyond 32-bit XP for running subjects for
time-critical experiments (I use Vista only during development).

Now, as I understand it you want to simultaneously record a voice
response and get the RT for the onset of the voice response.  For
that, at a minimum you will need either two microphones, or one
microphone with the cable split to go simultaneously to both the
voicekey input of the SRBox *and* the sound input of your PC.  As you
have already discovered & noted, the SRBox microphone/voicekey input
does *not* pass on sound to the PC, it acts only as the voicekey
(just think about it, and the fact that the SRBox is attached to the
PC only via a serial cable); and the sound input of the PC does *not*
act as a voicekey, it only receives raw sound from the
microphone.  So you need to do both.  I hope that clarifies things a bit.

-- David McFarlane, Yankee Faultfinder
public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."  (Richard Feynman,
Nobel prize-winning physicist)