Press and release with joystick input

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Nov 10 23:26:01 UTC 2011

Erika,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

I have no experience with joysticks in E-Prime, so I am just talking
off the top of my head.  And the error message that you specify looks
like a design-time error rather than either a compile-time or
run-time error, so you get it when you try to enter "{-}" into the
Allowable field in the object's Property Pages E-Studio.

So what happens if you instead use "{-ANY}"?  Does it work then?

You see, {-} means a *press* of a *dash* character, and the SRBox
cannot send a dash (it can send only the numbers 1-8).  (In fact, in
this case the notation does not even indicate a release, if you
wanted a relese of a dash character you would have to use {--}).  So
to get a release response from a SRBox, you have to use the dash
followed by which button you want to see released, e.g., {-1}, {-2},
{-ANY}, etc.

Just a reminder to anyone else who happens to tune in, you may find
this general technique covered in the "{key} nomenclature" topic in
the E-Basic Help facility.