Press and release with joystick input

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 17:38:10 UTC 2011

Ouch, that is one long concatenation - I'd think there's just some syntax error. Could be not, though, but then I'd assume that at that level of your experiment, the attribute LeftKey, for instance, cannot be read, at which point {-[LeftKey]} would read {-}. Is it always the same button? Also, just as a suggestion: I'm often too lazy to delete previous input masks, even if I go from keyboard to SRBox, for instance, but, as they are independently coded, I sometimes fail to set BOTH input masks to a new input, thus leading to confusing errors.

On a related topic, I was wondering whether it was a good idea to rigidly set allowable keys in the first place instead of, as David suggests, just doing {-ANY}. Of course, with Press Spacebar to Continue, there's a difference, but imagine you have a priming experiment with C (left) and M (presses), and for one reason or another, you participant is a bit dull and presses V (right next to C). If it is no allowable key, this is NOT scored as an error. In fact, your participant may then go on and press, a hundred msec later, the correct C key. In this scenario, it is impossible to find out in your data whether your participant was just slow for some reason (thus messing up your effect). If, however, you would have just used {ANY} allowable mask, you at least know afterwards they made an error. Anyway, just a thought.

Best,
Mich

Dr. Michiel M. Sovijärvi-Spapé
Research Fellow