Click and Drag in act out task

Maja Stegenwallner Maja.Stegenwallner at gmx.de
Thu Nov 17 17:32:46 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I encountered two challenges using eprime to set up an act out task and would like to hear your comments on it.

Child participants are listening to instructions that provide information about the final position of an object to be moved. Another reference object is also displayed. I used the Click and Drag sample form the pstnet support site for orientation. Accordingly, I set up an Silde Object that contains Slide Images for the Objects and transparent Slide Text objects that are used to indicate the target areas. There are two target areas. Besides the accuracy of the placement I would also like to measure the response time using a HitTest.

I encountered the following two problems:

a)The way it is set up now, participants would have to click two times in order to finish a trial. Once for releasing the dragged object and a second click for finishing the trial.(I did not construct another EndTrialObject or the like. The trial finishes as soon as the participant clicks on the transparent target areas. By doing so I intended to use only one click for releasing the object and finishing the trial at the same time. The code lines for finishing the trial also include a command for obtaining the response time.)

Does anyone have suggestions how to rewrite the commands to reduce the required clicks to one? Is it the case that the target area is not recognized during the release of the dragged object?

b)The code in the Inline Object to score the accuracy of the placement is set up as follows:

(1)	Setting the active state of the Slide Object
(2)	Declaring a variable for containing the name of the target area where the participants clicks (intended was originally the coordinates where the participant clicks to release the dragged object). This variable is called strGoal and takes strings.
(3)	Recognizing the mouse response and assigning the string name of the target Text Object to the strGoal variable
(4)	Comparing this input to the Correct Answer attribute of that particular trial.

Unfortunately, I always get incorrect responses. Do you have any suggestions what might have gone wrong?

I am looking forward to any comments!
Thanks in advance,
Maja