How to change the gamma setting in Eprime?

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 6 09:02:47 UTC 2011

Hi,
I think Gamma settings are part of the video card's driver specific settings - i.e., not windows OS settings as such. I understand what you set there gets reverted in E-prime once running an experiment? If you want to avoid that, you might delve deeper into the gfx card driver settings to make sure the application specific settings get overridden (a common setting in ATI and NVidia cards) by your driver's. Possibly, but doubtfully, your settings remain somewhat more stable if you make sure that the number of colours (i.e. in bits, like 32) is the same in E-Prime as it is in the OS (NOT true by default - 16 in E-Prime, 32/24, generally in Windows), as well as the resolution (and I know few people running their os in 640x480 as well). Moreover, if you'll look on the internet, you're most likely to find alternative drivers for your video card which complement your existing options, possibly changing gamma and such.

However, as a side point, I think you might want to change the stimulus material rather than changing the gamma, which inevitably compromises quality of your stimulus material (which sounds like something psychophysicists would deeply care about). Use photoshop or whatever to change gamma there, so you know exactly what is happening, save that (this can be done in batch processing, I heard, so it's not all that much work), and only then use these files in E-Prime. I don't know the exact situation here, but generally, this is the better way to go.

Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow