Moving flanker to the right position

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Oct 12 13:48:22 UTC 2011

Gilis,

On Wed Oct 12, 1:06 pm, gilis <gilads... at gmail.com> wrote:
 > Absolutely sure...No minor possible mistake that wasn't check....It's
 > a bag [sic] in eprime itself.

In 1978, fresh out of University, I started on a programming project at
Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan (USA).  Time and again my
programs failed, and I convinced myself that I had uncovered a true bug
in the underlying system.  Time and again the lead engineer told me,
"There is nothing wrong with the system, go back and find the mistake in
your program."  And in every case he was right -- the fault always lay
in my program, never in the system.  And ever since then I have become
very circumspect about concluding that bugs lie in the system instead of
in my source code.

Not long ago on this very Group, someone (was it you?) led us all on a
merry chase puzzling out why their stimulus files would not load.  It
turned out that the files were stored remotely on a networked computer
somewhere, and the subject-running station had trouble accessing that
remote drive.  Sheesh!

So Gilis, it comes down to this -- Although E-Prime does indeed have
several identifiable bugs, in this case you have almost certainly *not*
found a bug in E-Prime.  I.e., your problem lies somewhere in the design
of your program, or in your understanding of how E-Prime works, *not* in
E-Prime itself.  The problem almost certainly lies someplace where you
are not looking for it, probably because you are too close to the
problem and keep seeing only what you want to see.  Because of this, you
also cannot tell us the missing detail that would help us solve this for
you -- if you could see enough to state that detail, then you would have
already solved this yourself.

Hence, you must think "outside the box" here.  And when you do find the
mistake, you will slap yourself in the forehead and say, "Why didn't I
see that sooner?"

"A poor workman blames his tools."