Moving flanker to the right position

Meltem BALLAN meltemballan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:02:50 UTC 2011

I cannot stop myself to say that I totally agree with David. It is always
the bug in the script somewhere. Mostly, I have the tendency to short-cut
things. But I am wrong. I am successful in the situations that I start from
the scratch and program it over again. I would suggest you the same. I know
we all fight against time but having a solid task is better than anything in
this regard.
Good luck with your problem Gilis and must tell that I am not crazy about
Visual basic either. Contradictory to the name it is tricky.
Meltem

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:48 AM, David McFarlane <mcfarla9 at msu.edu> wrote:

> Gilis,
>
> On Wed Oct 12, 1:06 pm, gilis <gilads... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Absolutely sure...No minor possible mistake that wasn't check....It's
> > a bag [sic] in eprime itself.
>
> In 1978, fresh out of University, I started on a programming project at
> Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan (USA).  Time and again my programs
> failed, and I convinced myself that I had uncovered a true bug in the
> underlying system.  Time and again the lead engineer told me, "There is
> nothing wrong with the system, go back and find the mistake in your
> program."  And in every case he was right -- the fault always lay in my
> program, never in the system.  And ever since then I have become very
> circumspect about concluding that bugs lie in the system instead of in my
> source code.
>
> Not long ago on this very Group, someone (was it you?) led us all on a
> merry chase puzzling out why their stimulus files would not load.  It turned
> out that the files were stored remotely on a networked computer somewhere,
> and the subject-running station had trouble accessing that remote drive.
>  Sheesh!
>
> So Gilis, it comes down to this -- Although E-Prime does indeed have
> several identifiable bugs, in this case you have almost certainly *not*
> found a bug in E-Prime.  I.e., your problem lies somewhere in the design of
> your program, or in your understanding of how E-Prime works, *not* in
> E-Prime itself.  The problem almost certainly lies someplace where you are
> not looking for it, probably because you are too close to the problem and
> keep seeing only what you want to see.  Because of this, you also cannot
> tell us the missing detail that would help us solve this for you -- if you
> could see enough to state that detail, then you would have already solved
> this yourself.
>
> Hence, you must think "outside the box" here.  And when you do find the
> mistake, you will slap yourself in the forehead and say, "Why didn't I see
> that sooner?"
>
> -- David McFarlane, Professional Faultfinder
> "A poor workman blames his tools."
>

> On Wed 12 Oct 2011 liwenna wrote:
>
>> mmm not sure if/why this should solve it, but sometimes simplification
>> is bliss...
>>
>> did you try using one textobject with three lines instead of three
>> separate textobjects on each side.
>>
>> [flanker1]
>> [flanker2]
>> [flanker3]
>>
>> ^ that in one textbox, rather than three. Also: press {return},
>> {space} then again {return} in order to create an empty line between
>> two lines, if needed.
>>
>> On Oct 12, 3:09 pm, gilis <gilads... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes they are taken from a list, and no-no unwanted spaces, and I
>>> checked it more than once....
>>>
>>> On Oct 12, 1:34 pm, liwenna <liwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>  Are the flankerwords taken from a list?? Are you as sure that there

> [...]

Meltem Ballan, PhD
Department of Psychiatry, CB# 7160
University of North Carolina School of Medicine
7023 Neurosciences Hospital
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7160