incrementing the trial count

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 12:41:49 UTC 2011

Hi,
So, do I understand correct you want to use the same e-prime data-file for more than one subject? Any good reason for that? Normally, I'd say, just rerun the experiment, type in subject number, and from the .edat files, filter out those subjects who have few data (in E-DataAid, count number of trials, write those subjects with few trials on a piece of paper, and filter those out from analysis) - I think that's pretty much what we always do (whether subjects be infants or psych students). What you seem to want to do is rather counterintuitive: if a participant completes 60% of trials, at which point you want to increase subject number, why should this participant suddenly have 2 subject numbers (so that subject with the next subject number, which is actually the same subject, now has 40% of trials at most)? Why not just create a filter? You can even do that online:
Create user script (global, alt+5, user tab) variables:
Dim TotalTrials as integer
Dim PropDone as double
Initialise variable (only TotalTrials, because initialising in basic also sets to 0), by adding to beginning of experiment (upmost procedure, before everything else):
TotalTrials = 300 'or whatever is the maximum
Check to see, during each trial, how far the subject is, by adding to end of trial procedure:
PropDone = PropDone + 1 / TotalTrials
c.SetAttrib "PropDone", PropDone

voila, and by finding the maximum of propdone, per subject, you can find how many trials the participant has done. You can take it from there, coding the participant number, for whatever reason, in there as well (I'd just suggest not to use the subject number attribute) and increasing it if need be.

If, on the other hand, you're doing some infinite loop thing, where you want ALL infants in 1 edat, perhaps it might be a good idea to build in a sneaky key. So that, if you have some textdisplay, and you press X (for next), a variable is updated:
User script:
Dim CurrentParticipant as Integer
Initialise:
currentparticipant = c.GetAttrib ("Subject")

After critical stimulus:
If myCriticalStimulus.RESP = X then currentparticipant = currentparticipant + 1
c.SetAttrib "CurrentParticipant", currentparticipant

Something like that. Hope that helps.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé