.edat file not created

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 13 17:45:17 UTC 2011

Erika,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

Indeed, if you have an "attribute" named "Block", then you will get
exactly the error message that you got (yes, the error message
incorrectly says "variable", attributes are not variables as we have
been discussing in another thread this week).  So, just go into the
.es2 file with E-Studio and rename that attribute, you should not
find that hard to do.

As to recovering your data from the .txt file, this might be done but
is not trivial.  In principle, if you can decipher the structure of
the data in the .txt file, you could just edit the offending "Block"
attribute in any text editor (e.g., Windows Notepad) to make it
acceptable to E-Recovery, but this is not for the faint of
heart.  You might instead take this up with PST Support, who might
help with this.

Do you really have a lot of .txt files to convert?  How many subjects
did you run before you decided that having the program crash at the
end of each session was a bad sign?