text file format problem

kc cox.karin.m at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 19:24:21 UTC 2012

Hello all,

This is a copy of a post that I recently added to the forum on PST's
website.

I am in a situation in which I need to create a large number of
unique, predetermined stimulus sequences for each subject in a study.
I am relying on a matlab script to create these sequences; it would be
very hard to create them on the fly in E-Prime. So, I am generating
the sequences using matlab, having matlab write out the properly-
formatted text files, and telling E-Prime to use these text files to
populate the relevant List Objects.

Here's the problem: When I try to run an E-Prime program that calls to
these files, it crashes out entirely -- which is to say, not only does
the experiment self-abort, but E-Studio closes, and I get a message
regarding this from Windows.

What's even stranger is that if I take those same matlab-generated
text files, open them in Excel (including the run through the
conversion wizard), and then re-save them with the same .txt extension
-- then suddenly everything works fine. So it is true that I have
something of a workaround, but it is one that involves a tedious, time-
consuming step that is potentially prone to human error (opening and
re-saving all those files). So, it would be nice to get my matlab-
generated files to work.

I thought I had found the solution with the following matlab help
page:
http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/en/data/1-15HVX/index.html?product=ML&solution=1-15HVX

I tried both their 'wt' option and their '/r/n' solution, and while
both did successfully make my text files more Notepad-friendly, they
still resulted in the same crashing of the E-Prime program.

Thoughts?