feedback display problem with incorrect state

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Apr 20 15:10:32 UTC 2012

Güzin,

Well, I hate to encourage people to send me their
files, much less encourage them to attach files
for everyone on the Group, but I have to admit
that this puzzle intrigued me, and the example was well constructed.  So...

Sigh.  Why do I keep having to do PST's debugging
for them?  Yes, you have uncovered an
honest-to-goodness bug.  But first, let me
explicate a little more of the misbehavior in your example.

First, your car.jpg image never appeared at
all.  That was just because your image did not
properly fit in the frame of the ImageDisplay
sub-object on your slide.  You can fix that in a
variety of ways, and that is *not* a bug in EP.

Next, not only does EP fail to show an image for
the first incorrect response, but after that, any
time you enter a correct response, the *next*
incorrect response will use the image belonging
to the previous *correct* response!

How?  This all becomes clear when you look
through the generated E-Basic code.  The code
first loads an image based on the *current*
ActiveState of the FeedbackDisplay; but it does
not change the ActiveState to Correct, Incorrect,
etc., until later!  It is just that simple.

Note that you used EP2.0.10.182, the latest
release of EP.  By contrast, both good-old EP1.2,
and EP2.0.8.90 (the previous public release),
generate FeedbackDisplay code in the correct order and do not have this bug.

Thank you for bringing this bug to public
attention.  You should submit this to PST Web
Support so that they may take action to fix this;
I will do the same.  Until then, despite the real
advances of EP2.0.10.182, users may want to hold
off on upgrading and stick with EP2.0.8.90, as
this seems like a fairly egregious programming mistake.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx