Drawing in E-Prime

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Tue Apr 24 13:19:54 UTC 2012

Hi,
I have done studies in this, and although it was just before the advent of
tablets as such, a few things come to mind:
1. Tablet devices tend to support "multitouch" these days - E-Prime will
presumably just take the single point (in fact, I know it does). I'd suggest
using a stylus.
2. I don't think this is particularly important, in fact, i can't even
remember what we used, but you're welcome to look it up
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394009010908 -
actually, I still have the experiment should you be interested). Crucially,
however, like a mouse pointer, there's a default mode where a 10 cm drawing
movement can result in less or more pictures depending on the velocity of
the movement. You'll generally want to avoid that. Also, most of these
devices will work from a point of view where the absolute position isn't
relevant - much like the position of your mouse on the table isn't
interesting for Windows - just the relative change from previous cursor
location. Tablets tend to be bound in measurements, so it's easy to think
that the upper left corner of the tablet, for instance, will correspond to
the upper left corner of the screen. This is not the case by default
(certainly not for our tablet), and you'll probably want to either adjust
this (it could be changed somewhere in the control settings), or at least
take it somehow in account.
3. I'd suggest recording drawing location at a pretty high refresh rate
(maybe screen refresh) - resulting in a ton of data. My advice is to record
this to a separate text file and process that later on with matlab (using
FFT, for instance).

Hope that helps,
Michiel Sovijärvi-Spapé

Helsinki Institute for Information Technology
Aalto University / University of Helsinki
Finland