Independently Manipulating Volumes Based on Response

Alex tdaniel16 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:12:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have a quick question about independently manipulating the volume of two
different sound files.  Some quick background:

   - There is a brief noise that constantly stays at 100dB.
   - There are two longer beeps that participants will be listening for (at
   80dB)
   - If participants hear either of the beeps, they are instructed to press
   a key
      - If the participant makes a response, the two beeps are attenuated
      by 5dB
      - If the participant does not make a response, the two beeps' volumes
      are increased by 5dB
   - The volume change should not occur instantaneously, but rather,
   starting at the end of the trial

Below, I have some code that I have tried to use.  I think that my problem
is that I'm not storing the volume itself as an integer or value here.
When I try to compile the code, it states that the properties have default
values.  I've looked far and wide for a solution to this on the web, and
after not finding much help, I'm posting here.  Any help or advice on this
would be greatly appreciated!  I have attached a snippet of the E-Basic
that has been giving me said grief.

Dim MinusBeep As SlideSoundOut
Dim PlusBeep As SlideSoundOut

Set MinusBeep =
CSlideSoundOut(CSMinusPresentation.States(CSMinusPresentation.ActiveState).Objects("CSMinusBeep"))
Set PlusBeep =
CSlideSoundOut(CSPlusPresentation.States(CSPlusPresentation.ActiveState).Objects("CSPlusBeep"))

    If (ActiveState Here).InputMasks.Responses.Count >= 0 Then
        MinusBeep.Buffers(1).volume = MinusBeep.Buffers(1).volume - 500
        PlusBeep.Buffers(1).volume = PlusBeep.Buffers(1).volume - 500
    Else
        MinusBeep.Buffers(1).volume = MinusBeep.Buffers(1).volume + 500
        PlusBeep.Buffers(1).volume = PlusBeep.Buffers(1).volume + 500
    End If