Stop Movie troubles

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Dec 6 23:38:39 UTC 2012

Roberto,

Oops that's embarrassing, in my haste I overlooked your link,
sorry.  But then, I would not have gotten a followup with your
runtime error message, which I think is diagnostic.

Hmm, one way to get that runtime error is just to fail to initialize
some object variable.  E.g., the code

     Dim Text1 as TextDisplay
     Text1.Text = "Hello"

will produce that run-time error, but the code

     Dim Text1 as TextDisplay
     Set Text1 = New TextDisplay
     Text1.Text = "Hello"

or

     Dim Text1 as TextDisplay
     Set Text1 = StimText  ' assuming StimText already exists
     Text1.Text = "Hello"

will work.

I suspect that your error has nothing to do with using
MovieDisplay.Stop (or whatever) per se, but has to do with more
general rules of E-Basic/VBA usage.

BTW, this is also the sort of thing that PST Web Support is very good for.

Hmm, after I wrote all that, I put 'e-prime "object variable or With
block variable not set"', and came up with
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=4782 , which tells how
EP2 has an improved error message for this situation, and shows
another example of this problem.  (And now that I have written this
up, I will add a link to this thread to my personal FAQ for the next
time this comes up :) .)

Hope that helps,
-- David McFarlane