Go/No-Go Task Programming (David McFarlane?)

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Dec 7 16:22:10 UTC 2012

An empty cell = blank, empty, void, nothing, nada, null, nil; it does
not, and must not, have a string of double quotes ("") inside it,
otherwise it would be looking for a string consisting of two double quotes.

But based on Anne's response, it seems something more is going on
here.  Hmm, you say you are using extended input, with Time Limit >
Duration.  How much greater?  Did you by any chance set Time Limit to
(infinite)?  That will surely fail for a Go/No-Go situation.  Or, do
you have Time Limit extending through the end of the Procedure, but
then have some PreRelease on the final object of the Procedure?  This
will also cause trouble (which has been ameliorated in EP2.0.10.242
with the new Procedure.ProcessPendingInputMasks feature, see
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=5178 ).

Here's the deal:  In order for automatic scoring of a non-response to
work, your input mask must time-out before you need the score, until
then .ACC remains at its default value of 0.  In particular, the
input mask must reach its Time Limit before the end of the Procedure
in order for the correct ACC to be logged (in addition, the input
mask must reach its Time Limit before any object, such as a
FeedbackDisplay, needs to use the ACC score).

So here are your choices:

1) Set the Time Limit so that the input mask ends before the end of
the Procedure (or before the StartTime of any object that depends on
the ACC (beware of PreRelease effects!)).

2) Add inline code such as the following at the end of the Procedure
(or before any object that depends on the ACC) (assuming your
stimulus is called StimText):

     StimText.InputMasks.Timeout

This will force the input masks to time-out and perform their
automatic ACC scoring (see the InputMaskManager.Timeout topic in the
E-Basic Help facility).

3) Do without the automatic ACC scoring, and instead do it explicitly
in inline code at the end of the Procedure (or before any object that
depends on the ACC):

     ' .ACC = 0 by default, need only test for correct response:
     If (StimText.RTTime = 0) Then StimText.ACC = 1

or if you prefer

     StimText.ACC = Iif( StimText.RTTime, 0, 1 )

If you do (2) or (3), you might also have to add

     c.SetAttrib "StimText.ACC", StimText.ACC

in order to make sure that the response ACC gets logged.

You should try all three of these as an exercise and form your own
opinion on the pros & cons of each.

Footnote:  You may use any of the following to test for presence of a
response (and simply invert the logic to test for absence of response):

1) If (x.RESP <> "") ...
2) If (Len(x.RESP) > 0) ...
    or more succinctly,  If Len(x.RESP) ...
3) If (x.RTTime <> 0)  ...
    or more succinctly,  If (x.RTTime) ...
4) If (x.InputMasks(1).Count > 0) ...,
    or more succinctly,  If x.InputMasks(1).Count ...
    (note this works only for the specified input mask)

You may also get away with
5) If (x.RT <> 0)  ...
    or more succinctly,  If (x.RT) ...
but this form poses a subtle and extremely unlikely failure mode in
that if a response arrives at exactly .OnsetTime then RT = RTTime -
OnsetTime = 0, so it would score a response as a non-response.

Form (1) is strictly speaking probably the most correct form, but for
arcane reasons of efficiency I prefer integer comparisons over string
comparisons so I favor form (3).

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training