meaning of ActionDelay for long audio files

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Feb 16 22:58:16 UTC 2012

Brian,

I have tried to untangle this myself, and you can see the result at
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/39e899d3457d4917
.  In my tests, I was never able to get ActionTime to lag more than 1
ms behind OnsetTime, so your report does add something to the
discussion.  Based on that, I would guess that OnsetTime means,
vaguely, when E-Prime first submitted the stimulus data for
presentation (e.g., proceeded to copy data to display memory or load
a sound buffer), whereas ActionTime means when E-Prime completed this
action (e.g., copying data to display memory, or loading a sound or
video buffer).

Bear in mind after all this that E-Prime indicates only when it has
made the information available to the hardware, the hardware itself
may impose additional delays beyond the purview of E-Prime.  On top
of all that, EP2 has had problems playing sound & video under Windows
Vista/7, in case that applies to you, although they may have fixed
that in the latest release (EP2.0.10.182).  Finally, if you really
want to know when a stimulus appears relative to other events in your
task, you will need to break out an oscilloscope.

Anyway, for a more definitive answer, you should submit this issue to
PST Web Support at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp (note that I do
not work for PST), and point them to this very thread -- they strive
to respond to all requests there in 24-48 hours.  Or try them at
their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
).  And then please post back here with their response so that we can
all learn.

-- David McFarlane, E-Prime Instructor
    http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx