meaning of ActionDelay for long audio files

Brian Murphy mofei at gmx.net
Thu Feb 16 02:06:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've been running a MEG audio-book listening experiment. There are
several large audio files, each 8-12mins long. Unsurprisingly there
are big OnsetDelays in getting these files ready to play, of the order
of 1s. But in addition to that, for the first of the trials there is
also an ActionDelay, of about 350ms (typically - running the
experiment repeatedly I find that it ranges from about 200ms to
900ms). On later trials the ActionDelay is 0ms, or occasionally 1ms.

What does this mean? When does the audio track start playing? At
OnsetTime or ActionTime? The user guide says that OnsetTime is when
the stimulus "actually" begins, but closer reading of the Reference
Guide suggests that it might be when *writing of the stimulus to the
output device begins*. The ActionTime should be when the "critical
action" finishes. What is the critical action when we're talking about
sending audio data to the sound card?

thanks,

Brian