sending com port command

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 20:47:47 UTC 2012

Hi Erin,

Although, in theory, it would be possible to use the WritePort command
to send bytes to a classical serial (non-USB) RS232 port, it is
definitely not the way to go. Instead you should use a SerialDevice
object to communicate with a COM port. The easiest way is to add such
a Serial device in the following dialog:
E-Studio>Menu>Edit>Experiment>Devices>Add Serial. The default setting
should be OK (9600bps, 8bit, no parity, 1 stopbit). When you add this
device, EPrime will add a global SerialDevice object variable to your
script. The name of this variable will be 'Serial' if there is only
one serial device.

The next thing you should do is to add a single line of inline script
to send the command:

SerialDevice.WriteString "sk0" & ebCr

The ebCr constant is a cariage return that is probably required by the device.

I'm not sure if the external device also needs to be initialised first
(by sending "CPA00000000" for example), but that's up to you to find
out ;-)

Hope this helps,
Paul