sending com port command

Erin erin.siebert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 23:46:42 UTC 2012

I am trying to send a command to an external device via a usb
connection.  The external device is an ADU200 USB Relay I/O Interface
(http://www.ontrak.net/ADUcommands.htm).  This is a control box which
triggers an automatic feeder for our monkeys.  Using the control box's
test software, I can trigger the auto feeder by sending the control
box the command "sk0."  So, I know I need E-Prime to send the command
"sk0" to the ADU200 control box via a usb COM port.

I have read the E-Prime help, and it appears it is difficult to send a
non binary message via a com port (the WritePort command).  It is
possible I may need to use something called a Declare Statement, which
is done outside of E-Prime.  However, I am hoping this is not
necessary.

Reading the OnTrak help, it appear a Visual Basic code similar to
MSComm1.Output = "sk0" would work (http://www.ontrak.net/visual.htm),
however this does not appear to be an option in E-Prime.

Any pointers would be very appreciated.  Thank you!

Erin