Permutation object

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Jul 9 18:05:21 UTC 2012

ASI,

This is a question for PST Web Support
(http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp ), so please
ask them and then report back here with their response.  Chances are
that they use some variety of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation#Generation_in_lexicographic_order .

But if you don't need to know until *after* each run, well then, the
order used by each List is always explictly logged in the .edat file
anyway, so you could just look at the results there without knowing
the rule used.  In addition, you could always make up a simple mock
program with an appropriate List (don't even need to show stimuli)
just to explore how E-Prime generates its List sequences.  I do this
sort of thing all the time, that's how I learned so much about EP Lists.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST takes questions at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there and on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter feed yet,
though).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----