need help with code, I am trying to have two clickable response buttons on a slide

David Wang jiaxiking at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 05:57:56 UTC 2012

long story short, I am trying to have two response objects that can be
clicked by mouse. My subjects will only be able to click one of them (as
soon as that happens, the procedure will move forward). clicking elsewhere
results in nothing.

I have attached an Inline after that slide, however I can't seem to get the
coding right.  Can someone take a look and let me know what I am doing
wrong. Thank you so much :)   (by the way I copied this code from someone
in this group, I can't remember her name though, but I love her for sharing
this. Hopefully I can get it to work in my design).

The slide I want to make this work is "slide5", the two buttons are named
"leftbutton" and "right button".  I will need to log which button my
subjects will click for the purpose of my experiment.

here are the codes:

'Designate "theState" as the Default Slide State, which is the
        'current, ActiveState on the Slide object "Stimulus"

        Dim theState as SlideState
        Set theState = Slide5.States("Default")

        Dim next_mX as Long, next_mY as Long

        Dim strHit As String
        Dim theMouseResponseData As MouseResponseData

        Do until (strHit = "leftbutton" or strHit = "rightbutton")
        'Was there a response?
                If Slide5.InputMasks.Responses.Count > 0 Then

                        'Get the mouse response
                        Set theMouseResponseData =
CMouseResponseData(Slide5.InputMasks.Responses(1))

                        'Determine string name of Slide or SlideText object
at
                        'mouse click coordinates. Assign that value to
strHit
                        strHit =
theState.HitTest(theMouseResponseData.CursorX,theMouseResponseData.CursorY)

                        'Compare string name where mouse click occurred to
CorrectAnswer
                        'attribute on each trial, and score response
                        'NOTE: This comparison is case sensitive
                        If strHit = "leftbutton" or strHit = "rightbutton"
Then
                             GoTo begingame

                        End if

                Do Until (strHit = "leftbutton" or strHit = "rightbutton")
                ' capture & process further mouse clicks:
                        If (Mouse.Buttons And ebMouseButton1) Then
                                Mouse.GetCursorPos next_mX, next_mY
                                strHit = theState.HitTest( next_mX, next_mY
)
                        End If

                        If strHit = "leftbutton" or strHit = "rightbutton"
Then
                             GoTo begingame
                        End If

     Loop