need help with code, I am trying to have two clickable response buttons on a slide

Anne-Wil liwenna at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 07:19:39 UTC 2012

Hey David,

I clearly misunderstood what you meant with leftbutton and rightbutton -
those are the names of the boxes, I realize now.

Glad you got that part working. For the changing colors when mouse hoovers
over part: I don't think you can really help you with that one - as I never
did that myself.

I do think you might want to use a different set-up in that case. The
script that is used to read out the mouseclicklocation is only accessed
after the termination of the slide - in order to have anything happening
(i.e. mouse location being read out and acted upon during the showing of
the slide) you'd need a script that is accessed before the slide and
continues during the slide (the do while type loops that you already tried
to implement). My gut feeling tells me that such a script might not work
with the ready made "buttons" (text/imageboxes), but perhaps it will if you
draw the buttons yourself (in that very same script preceding the slide)
using canvas drawing commands.

Attached is a questionnaire script, which I believe evolved from the
ratingscale script provided by PST. In the inline preceding the
questionslide answerboxes are being drawn, then the slide is shown and then
in the inline following the slide, the mouseclick is assessed, the
buttoncolour changes and remains visible for a little bit longer, and the
response is logged and processed. Clicks outside the answerbuttons load to
a backbutton, similar to your set-up.

What this program does not do is changing the colour of buttons while a
mouse hovers over. I think I tried to get it like that "back then" but
didn't manage to do so. I then concluded that the slide needs to be
terminated, altered and reshown for this to happen and that that simply
takes a bit too long to give a natural feeling to the participant operating
the mouse (as if the program stalls). However, back then I wasn't much
aware of do-while loops, perhaps those may make it possible. Anyone else's
input could be useful on that one? :)

Good luck and please let us know if it works out! :)

Best,

Anne-Wil