Rondomized Responses

newbie mkclairhong at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:02:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,I'm currently working on a research about involuntary memory and we
have been using Eprime to present picture-sound pairs.
The participants are asked to look at the picture and hear the sound, and
type a sentence that comes to their mind.
They go through this process twice, and the order of picture-sound pairs
are different in two lists, so that we can make sure the "memory" is not
affected by the order. When they see and listen to the sound for the second
time, they're asked to modify their sentences from the first round and we
present the response from the first round as well (so that they can see
what they typed initially and modify if they want)

However, the problem is that the responses they typed for the first list
appear in the same order in the next list while the picture-sound pairs are
in a different order.
So for example, if Participant A typed "dog" for his first answer during
the first round, "dog" would appear as the previous answer for his first
picture-sound pairing for the second round even if the picture-sound pair
that's presented to him would be a different pair from the first experiment.

The code for this is,
*
First list*

IntegrationString = Integration.RESP
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{SPACE}", " ")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{SHIFT}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{ENTER}", " ")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{,}", ",")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{.}", ".")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{F1}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{!}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{'}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{(}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{)}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{/}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{?}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{:}", "")
IntegrationString = ReplaceString(IntegrationString, "{;}", "")
c.SetAttribAtSource "IntegrationResp", IntegrationString

For i = 1 to Encoding1List.Size
response = Encoding1List.GetAttrib(i, "IntegrationResp")
Encoding2List.SetAttrib i, "IntegrationResp", response
Next i

*Second list*

Integration2String = Integration2.RESP
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{SPACE}", " ")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{SHIFT}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{ENTER}", " ")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{,}", ",")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{.}", ".")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{F1}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{!}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{'}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{(}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{)}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{/}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{?}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{:}", "")
Integration2String = ReplaceString(Integration2String, "{;}", "")

c.SetAttribAtSource "Integration2Resp", Integration2String

For i = 1 to Encoding2List.Size
response = Encoding2List.GetAttrib(i, "IntegrationResp")
Encoding3List.SetAttrib i, "IntegrationResp", response
Next i

I feel like the problem would be resolved if I correct my "i= _____" but
I've been keep failing to make the right modification for the code.
It will be great if you could let me know how I would be able to fix it!

Thank you so much