Analysing string data

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 09:42:05 UTC 2012

Hi Anja,

E-DataAid doesn't like string data in the "Data" field but you should be
able to trick it into doing what you want:  dragging it into the Rows
field and selecting a numeric but uninteresting value (e.g. Session) for
the Data field.

So here for example you could just have these three fields in Rows:
Subject
TargetStimulus
TranslationResponse

And this one field in Data:
Session:Mean

The first three columns of the output should give you what you're
looking for.

hope this helps!
david

On 28/06/2012 10:29, anja wrote:
> Dear all,
> is it true that E-DataAid cannot output string data in the 'Analyze'
> window?
> I need to analyse translations which were typed using the 'Echo' from
> a foreign language into the participants' native language. (The main
> objective was to gather ERP data during listening, though.)
> I dragged this variable into the 'Data' field in the 'Analyze' window
> and double-clicked on it, but afaics I cannot change the statistics
> into simply giving me the content of the cells. I was hoping there was
> a simple way to get an overview of which stimulus was translated with
> which word by every participant.
> Is this really not possible or am I just giong about this in the wrong
> way?
> Any creative ideas...?
> Cheers, Anja
> --

David Vinson, Ph.D.
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher
Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
26 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AP
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL internal ext. 25311)