LCD vs CRT for dot probe task

Alphonse Stickle alphonse.stickle at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 07:58:51 UTC 2012

ssshhhhhh ... or you will frighten the (machine
variance) elephant, in our room  :)))

OP, search the group archive for "LCD Input lag
", there was something on this a while ago.
Follow some of the links and decide for
yourselves. We have scrounged and now have a nice
cupboard full of CRT monitors to replace any failures, into the future.

In fact, here is the post (from 2011):

LCD monitors and Input lag

The issue of LCD monitors has been raised
periodically on this list. Because CRTs have gone
way of the dinosaur many labs use LCDs now for
experiment presentation, and my guess is that
some aren't aware of some possible pitfalls of
doing so. My understanding is, basically, LCDs
work differently to CRT monitors, and the key
issue for display timing accuracy is that LCD
monitors have onboard image processing engines
that do their own thing with the frames sent to
them by graphics card, prior to displaying them,
and this processing can take (varied) time, with
range that can be perhaps 0 to 70 ms across
frames, and average lag which can be in the 30-40
ms range. The variation compounds the problem LCD
screens may pose for some types of experimental psychology.

This means 1) that you don't have a clue what is
going on with display timing unless you test your
LCD monitors for input lag (and then it likely
will fluctuate across trials anyway) ; and 2)
Just because it shows a picture, you can't just
treat an LCD monitor as though it is a CRT
monitor for purposes of time critical paradigms.

Additionally, any concurrent audio would be out
of sync because the audio is not routed through
the display, and so would experience no delay.

Also, without testing the monitor, it may not be
possible to trust the "refresh rate" setting at
anything other than the native refresh (mostly
60Hz) even though Windows may provide an option
for the monitor to run at a higher "refresh" (say
75Hz), which some researchers may choose in their
experiment. I have seen results showing that when
refresh is set to 75Hz on a 60Hz native refresh
LCD, frames are redrawn every ~13ms (instead of
~17ms), however 1 in every 6 frames was skipped
(no display). So, in 167ms only 10 frames were
displayed, not 12. Looked like the engine was
correcting back to native refresh. You test this
with high speed camera (same as to test input lag).

As far as e-prime goes, this means that you could
write a tidy paradigm where timing was tested as
perfect on a good PC, and e-prime would log all
durations as being so. However, at the display
level the timing could be all over the place.
Nobody would know, and effectively all the time
taken to use e-prime for millisecond precision
would be wasted. On monitors that have a big
range of input lag, some paradigms would really
be impossible to implement accurately.?

I'm no expert in this, have just been fishing
round on the net. For anyone who might be
interested, below are some useful links providing
a little digestible background on how LCDs work,
how they differ from CRTs, and how to go about
testing for input lag. Note that to do this
properly you need a CRT monitor as baseline.
Don't be tempted to use another LCD, which would
include using a laptop screen, and my advice
would be to definitely use a PC (with dual head
graphics card in clone mode) not a laptop.

Good old Wikipedia defining input lag:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

A basic primer on how LCDs / CRTs function, and differences:

<http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/03/20/how_crt_and_lcd_monitors_work/>http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/03/20/how_crt_and_lcd_monitors_work/

Here is an interesting site describing CRTs and
LCDs (from gamer perspective). Navigate through
the next few pages forward / backward using buttons down the bottom:

<http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_7.html>http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_7.html

How to test your monitors for input lag?

Here is a brief description, and a little counter program you can download:

<http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1229335064>http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1229335064

Here is another description with some useful info
about type of camera that is suitable:

<http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464>http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

A neat site who say they have done a lot of
testing re: input lag, and provide comparison
output for many LCD monitors. Note, lags might be
different on your monitor even though it is same
model tested. You need to test each individual monitor:

<http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=121&p1=1303&ma2=284&mo2=326&p2=3097&ph=12>http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=121&p1=1303&ma2=284&mo2=326&p2=3097&ph=12