joystick response & looming videos

terhi helminen helminenterhi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 12:01:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to create an experiment, where a subjects have to answer to a
movie stimuli by moving a joystick backward or forward. According the
subjects response, the video should loom bigger (backward movement)  or
smaller (forward movement).

I thought I could do this by using a feedback object: forward movement
could be coded as correct answer and backward movement as wrong answer. And
a feedback for correct answer could be a video looming smaller and for
incorrect answer there could be a video looming bigger.

I have already added a joystick device to the experimental design, and using
an inLine object I inserted a script  to decode the movement of the
joystick as response, and that works alright. (I found the script from this
forum
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/e-prime/joystic/e-prime/cu8Fm6lbE_I/JcZaf_ORhk8J...
I even use the same joystick!)

Dim nInitY As Integer
Dim nCurrentY As Integer
Dim nDiff As Integer

nInitY = Joystick.CursorY

Do
   nCurrentY = Joystick.CursorY
   nDiff = nInitY - nCurrentY

Loop Until Abs(nDiff) > 50

Stimulus.RTTime = Clock.Read
Stimulus.RT = Stimulus.RTTime - Stimulus.OnsetTime

If nDiff > 0 Then
   Stimulus.RESP = "Forward"
Else
   Stimulus.RESP = "Backward"
End If

However, I don't know how to make the program to understand the forward
movement as "Correct" answer. I tried to write another inLine script with
my minor programming skills without success:

    If Stimulus.RESP = "Forward" Then
        'Set the ActiveState to Correct
        Feedback.ActiveState = "Correct"
        End If

    If Stimulus.RESP = "Backward" Then
        'Set the ActiveState to Incorrect
        Feedback.ActiveState = "Incorrect"

        End If

Could you help me with that?

Another questions concerns the looming videos: I found that it would be
possible to create looming pictures with a script (
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/e-prime/joystick/e-prime/qD0NwsXD7i4/bk1hMejJ3u8J),
but do you know if that's possible with video stimuli?

Thanks in advance,
Terhi