problem with a summation object

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Mar 1 17:00:59 UTC 2012

Mich,

Indeed, that is exactly correct, and I am quite chagrined that I
overlooked that coding mistake myself in Max's original post.  I
guess it just goes to show...

This behavior, of course, comes from Microsoft Visual Basic for
Applications (VBA), from which E-Basic is derived.  *Each* variable
must be *explicitly* typed, else by default it is type Variant, as
you said.  In VBA/E-Basic you could accomplish the same effect on a
single line as follows:

         Dim SummationAcc as Summation, SummationRT as Summation

Programmers experienced in other languages such as C/C++ will find
this particularly confusing, as the equivalent statement in C/C++
would read simply

         Summation SummationAcc, SummationRT;

which would reasonably enough declare both SummationAcc & SummationRT
as type Summation in one simple easy-to-read line.  But this is
VBA/E-Basic, not C/C++

Of course it is easy to overlook a lack of explicit type declarations
on single lines like that, hence many VBA/E-Basic style guides
recommend using a separate line for each variable declaration, as you
illustrated.  It seems to me that I have run across this documented
somewhere in the E-Prime materials, but I don't recall offhand
whether this behavior is explained in Chapter 4 of the User's Guide,
and I am too lazy to look it up right now.

---
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx