single refresh display duration - help?

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:23:30 UTC 2012

Hi Anne-Wil,

You will get the best onset performance if you:

1) set the pre-release time of the objects before both slides to the
maximum possible value (i.e. same as duration of that object). In
other words: if the 13ms slide is displayed immediately after the
other slide, you must set the pre-release time of the first slide to
496 (or 500 if you apply point 3 below).

2) Use bitmaps instead of JPEG and make sure the color depth is the
same as used in your exp. This might help because decoding jpeg files
takes a lot of CPU time (although the smaller jpeg files will load
faster from disk.)

3) use durations which end in the middle of two screen refreshes I.e,
if the display is using a refresh rate of 75Hz, you will set the fast
stimulus to 0.5*1000/75=7ms, and the longer stimulus to
37.5*1000/75=500). Not sure if this is still required with the new EP2
release, though...

Depending on the hardware performance and screen resolution, this
still might be insufficient to get single frame stimuli. If this is
the case, you might want to prepare the stimuli using off-screen
canvases at the start of the sequence and copy to the display canvas
using a fast copy at the vertical blanking interval. This should
always work, unless the graphics card is crappy.

best,
paul