single refresh display duration - help?

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:41:16 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have something and I hope someone may have experienced a similar
thing that may help me out on this one.

I have an experiment in which a sequence of displays occurs with the
two most important display having durations of 496 and 13 ms
respectively (give or take max 2 ms). Back then, it took me quite some
work but in the end I got the timing right (yay).

Now... I am trying to build a second, similar but less complex, task.
This new is less complex since it shows only a single. rather than
multiple, image at the 496 ms display, and has a far less complex list
structure due to less different procedures. However: I can not get the
timing right at all..  the display that follows the 13 ms display just
keeps being delayed by one refresh (13 ms).

I have tried pretty much everything for hours and hours:
- building the new task from scratch, imitating all (or at least I
believe so?) settings from the old (correctly timed) task (and then
tweaking all the settings too)
- modifying the correctly timed task into the new task  (and then
tweaking all the settings)
- using off-screen canvases rather than slides (but it seems that the
13ms 'canvas' is simply not shown in about 25% of the trials... which
is not good enough either)

I believe I have covered pretty much everything that could be done
about it, but I honestly fail to see why the old task would be timed
correctly (still is!) and any attempt at the more simple task just
fails in terms of timing.

I so very much hope that someone here is able to identify the one
thing that I just keep overlooking? >.<

Best,

Anne-Wil