rapid serial visual presentation and sound, how to

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Thu Mar 8 10:04:17 UTC 2012

Hi,

First off, you have one sound, which is presented along with the first
slide. Slide one thus lasts 100 ms, the sound 500 ms (turn StopAfter or such
off). Once you get this to work - i.e., the sound lasting 500 ms and the
slide only 100 ms (just put a textdisplay after it, check whether this
appears while the sound still plays), the rest should be easy. Easy in one
of two ways:

1. Make an extra list within the present trial procedure, placed after the
sound and first picture. The list will have 14 levels, and you can use colon
syntax to reference attributes from a list higher up.

2. And it may feel annoyingly like "a lot of work" or inelegant, but I
believe one of the best ways is to add 14 imagedisplays (or slides) directly
after the first (without sound) and have these reference attributes in the
triallist. That is, let's say slide1 has, in filename,
[ShowThisAtPosition1]. The TrialList, from which these are taken, has 15
attributes, including "ShowThisAtPosition1". Cleverly, the TrialList has a
nested, different list with a single attribute, "PicturesToShow" with all
the pictures you ever want to show (say, a hundred), randomised every trial.
Now, in the TrialList, in column "ShowThisAtPosition1", you simply say
"PicturesToShow:1", at position2 "PicturesToShow:2" and so on. This makes it
incredibly easy to also add targets to what I bet you want to make a RSVP/AB
paradigm.

Best,

Michiel