Trial number from randomseed

Tiffanie tiffanieong at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 19:23:20 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I am quite new to E-prime and I've just realised that the programme
that I have been using to collect data for the past two weeks hasn't
been logging the data correctly!

Basically, participants are presented with a series of attributes
describing four hypothetical apartments (these attributes are
presented for a fixed time of 4seconds). At the end of it,
participants are asked to decide which apartment they would like to
live in.
I am interested in how the order of presentation of attributes affects
this final judgement and there were some obvious issues with have a
fixed order across all participants so we decided to randomise it.
However, we decided on this with the impression that E-prime would log
the data of the order in which the attributes appeared (at random). On
the list with all the attributes, under Logging, I checked the
attributes property name. I guess I made a huge mistake when I was
testing the programme because I pressed spacebar to move on to the
next attribute, and when I looked at the data, the attributes order
was indeed recorded. I didn't double check if the same would happen if
no response was made at all, which was the case for all participants
since they were asked to just read each attribute and the next one
would appear automatically.

I guess another reason why I didn't realise this mistake earlier was
because I did get a E-DataAid file after each participant - however,
there was just one line with the subject, session... and random seed.
I know this is very far fetched, but I'm wondering if there is any
chance at all that I could somehow retrieve any form of information
about the order of trials from the randomseed number?

Thank you so much!!