Trial number from randomseed

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Mar 15 20:50:20 UTC 2012

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST takes questions at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there and on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter feed yet,
though).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

Good cautionary tale.  That's why my lesson on "Data Handling In
Depth" stresses to "Analyze early & often!"

So reading through your plea, I understand that your program did not
merely fail to log the trial/stimulus order (which would have been
odd, because by default EP *always* logs *every* List attribute used
*in presentation order*, whether you want it or not), but failed to
log any data *at all*.  Is that right?

And I am (figuratively) scratching my balding head trying to figure
out how you managed to get things logged when giving a response, but
not for non-responses.  That is really weird.  EP by default logs all
information at the end of each Procedure, response or not, so I
cannot imagine how you got rows of data for responses, but not for
non-responses.  As far as I can figure, you would have to go *way*
out of your way to turn off the automatic Procedure logging and
replace it with your own inline code, which would be bad unless you
*really* knew what you were doing.  So I must be overlooking
something obvious.  But no matter.

Finally, you said that, "On the list with all the attributes, under
Logging," you "checked the attributes property name".  Hmm.  By
default, those Logging attributes already have check marks; if you
went in and manually "checked" them, then you really unchecked them,
and that turned off their logging.  But that would mean that they
would fail to log for both non-responses *and* responses, which does
not square with your account.  So I am stumped on how you got to this state.

Anyway, that was not your question at all.  As I take it, you merely
want a mechanism to use the recorded RandomSeed to regenerate the
presentation order.  Well, the short answer is, if you look around
the E-Prime Knowledge Base on the PST web site, you will find
instructions on how to enter a RandomSeed value and have EP run with
that.  As I recall, it comes down to adding RandomSeed as a
StartupInfo parameter (I cover StartupInfo parameters in my
course).  For details, consult the EP KB, or PST Web Support.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx