Negative value for StartupInfo item

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Mar 16 18:03:34 UTC 2012

Ah, um, well, I think you are stuck, at least if the KB article,
http://www.pstnet.com/support/kb.asp?TopicID=1268 , is to be
trusted.  You see, StartupInfo parameters set to data type Numeric
are limited to non-negative values from 0 to 32,767, the largest
signed integer that will fit in 16 bits.  This is an oversight on the
part of the designers of E-Prime, as 16-bit signed integers may also
encode values from -32,768 to -1, but the code automatically
generated to handle StartupInfo parameters explicitly prohibits
negative values (don't take my word for that, just look at the
generated code in the Main() routine).

This may have been fixed in EP2.0.10.182 -- as I recall, numberic
StartupInfo parameters in the new release are now Long (32-bit)
integers, but I do not know whether it still peversely prohibits
negative values.

For all I know you could work around this by declaring the RandomSeed
StartupInfo parameter as data type String, and then hope that EP does
the automatic type conversion for you.  I leave that as an exercise for you.

Or, give a shout to PST Web Support at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp and see what
they say -- and then, please post their response back here for everyone.

But as I will explain shortyly in an update to your other thread,
none of this may help you anyway.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training