e-prime, digital pen or touchscreen as writing tool

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Wed May 9 11:12:54 UTC 2012

Hi Tania, list,
As written elsewhere, it is perfectly possible to use touch-screens, and
especially tablet-pens, in E-Prime. However, E-Prime will consider it as
exactly the same as a mouse-cursor (see my earlier message on this topic by
searching). This means that if you can design your experiment in E-Prime
with a mouse, you can later always use a touchscreen. However, you will have
to think really carefully what you will be recording and what you want from
the data: if a person lifts the pen for 100 ms, does this count as an "end
of writing", or is it merely a pause? What do you want to record? Pen
positions for every 10 ms, to later do FFT over? I don't know, but I can
tell you that it will be much trickier than you think to just record
"duration of the writing". Moreover, while, as said, it's possible in
E-Prime, it most definitely won't be all that easy - it's quite a leap from
the core business of E-Prime: experimental psychological experiments like
priming, stroop, recognition, visual search, and so on, tasks, that require,
above all else, really solid timing. Quite likely, you'll find many other
packages to be of much better value for money.
Best,
Michiel